Hello Group,

We are assessing a system that uses class Y1 capacitors for EMC filtering.
Because of space constraints, they are laid down horizontally on the PCB.

This is causing a problem (at least in my mind) where the capacitor body is
now resting on top of the AC input trace. The side of the capacitor
connected to PE is the side closest to the AC mains input trace.

<https://unit3compliancecouk-my.sharepoint.com/:i:/g/personal/james_unit3com
pliance_co_uk/EaXJSK9bMYRItCXbdutLJKsBORjTOA5_7Kh0bpPXDC5taw?e=aT7pfK>
y-cap-body-insulation-question.jpg

One of those pieces of received wisdom that has been passed down to me is
that "the body of components is not considered to be insulating" for the
purposes of assessing creepage and clearance.

Common sense says "danger danger Will Robinson" and to change the PCB and/or
to add some insulating material, but some technical back up would be
welcome.

All the best

James

James Pawson

Managing Director & EMC Problem Solver

Unit 3 Compliance Ltd

EMC : Environmental & Vibration : Electrical Safety : CE & UKCA :
Consultancy

 <http://www.unit3compliance.co.uk/> www.unit3compliance.co.uk |
<mailto:ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk> ja...@unit3compliance.co.uk

+44(0)1274 911747  |  +44(0)7811 139957

2 Wellington Business Park, New Lane, Bradford, BD4 8AL

Registered in England and Wales # 10574298

Office hours:

Every morning my full attention is on consultancy, testing, and
troubleshooting activities for our customers' projects. I'm
available/contactable between 1300h to 1730h Mon/Tue/Thurs/Fri.

For inquiries, bookings, and testing updates please send us an email on
<mailto:he...@unit3compliance.co.uk> he...@unit3compliance.co.uk or call
01274 911747. Our lead times for testing and consultancy are typically 4-5
weeks.

EMC-PSTC@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG

https://www.mail-archive.com/emc-pstc@listserv.ieee.org/

Website:  https://ewh.ieee.org/soc/pses/