Proportional, Integral, Differential... those are the words behind PID
regulator... so, observe: it is a REGULATOR, so it does some transfer
functions, which are named above. Tuning PID regulator is a science,
but when done right it does the job properly. I would look into the
Integration part of the regulator... well, at least in the analog PID
counterpart. And... if the encoder is sensed by measuring time between
intervals, it provides more speed resolution at lower speeds. (I do
not think the endoder sensing can be done by any other way on a PC.)