Thanks to all who have replied and provided much appreciated help in overcoming
the challenges I have encountered thus far in my EMC2 adventures.

I have purchased an Actiontec 56K external modem to bypass the problems
presented by my Winmodem and now have my dialup working.

By the way is there any way of getting an automatic dialup when I open Firefox?
Currently I must do System-Administration-Networking, select Modem, then select
Activate to get it to dialup. And when I close the browser I must go through the
same process and select Deactivate to get it to hang up the phone line.

Jack Ensor