John,
I can't make any promises, but I believe that hal_input, which will be
a part of emc 2.2, will support most HID devices recognized by Linux.

How's your Linux and emc expertise level?  You should be able to try out
this driver with emc 2.1 by copying a few files from the development
version:
    hal_input.py (copy to /usr/bin/hal_input, and "chmod +x"):

http://cvs.linuxcnc.org/cvs/emc2/src/hal/user_comps/hal_input.py?rev=1.11;content-type=text%2Fplain
    linux_input.py (copy to /usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/):

http://cvs.linuxcnc.org/cvs/emc2/lib/python/linux_event.py?rev=1.5&content-type=text/plain

There is a manual page here:
    http://linuxcnc.org/docs/devel/html/man/man1/hal_input.1.html

Once you've installed the driver, the trick is to first find out how to
give the device proper permissions (section PERMISSIONS AND UDEV in the
manual page), and second to find out how to tell hal_input to use that
device (section INPUT SPECIFICATION in the manual page)

Jeff