Replying to myself:

John Kasunich wrote:

> Do you have adequate stepgen headroom?  The following snippet is from
> the sample config "stepper_inch.ini":
>
>  > MAX_VELOCITY =                  1.2
>  > # NOTE:  the step generator module applies its own limits to
>  > # acceleration and velocity.  We have discovered that it needs
>  > # to have a little "headroom" over the accel by the trajectory
>  > # planner, otherwise it can fall slightly behind during accel
>  > # and later overshoot as it catches up.  In the long term we
>  > # hope to come up with a clean fix for this problem.  In the
>  > # meantime, please set STEPGEN_MAXACCEL below to a few percent
>  > # higher than the regular acceleration limit MAX_ACCELERATION
>  > MAX_ACCELERATION =              20.0
>  > STEPGEN_MAXVEL =                1.4
>  > STEPGEN_MAXACCEL =              21.0

I know the comment only talks about STEPGEN_MAXACCEL needing headroom,
but STEPGEN_MAXVEL does too... I'll try to remember to fix that when
I get a chance.

> MAX_VELOCITY of 1.2 inches per second means 72 ipm.  For 120 ipm,
> you need to set MAX_VELOCITY to 2.0, and you need to set STEPGEN_MAXVEL
> to something higher than 2.0, perhaps 2.2.  If you don't do that you
> will get following errors.

In versions 2.1.0 and later, STEPGEN_MAXVEL is tested against the
max available speed (which depends on BASE_PERIOD and some other
factors), and if you ask for more than it can give, it will complain.
But this check uses STEPGEN_MAXVEL, not MAX_VELOCITY, since it is
only relevant for stepper systems.

Regards,

John Kasunich