Rod Welland wrote:

> I,m totally new to Linux of any kind but I wish to use EMC2

Excellent :)

> I have downloaded the liveCD and created an image on a CD using Nero
> but can't seem to get it to do anything.

Somewhere in the Nero menus should be an option to "Burn Image" or
similar.  In NTI CD-Maker 2000, it's under the File menu.  In Windows
XP, you may be able to right-click the .iso file and select "Burn to
CD".  What won't work is creating a new "Data CD" project, then dragging
the .iso file into it.  That puts the file on the CD in a Windows file
system (like copying between disks), as Ray mentioned.

> Its supposed to be bootable but does this mean bootable in XP as well
> or bootable in linux and I assume that this means putting the CD in
> the drive and restarting the PC by swithcing off and on again.

A bootable disc doesn't boot in XP or Linux.  "Booting" is the process
of initializing the computer and running software after power-up.  If
the BIOS of the PC can boot from CD, then there doesn't even need to be
a hard disk in the system to start up.

> Also if I like it and by all that Ive seen on it I probably will I
> have a 800Mhz pentium PC with Windows 98 and a 10Gig H/D that I could
> dedicate to Linux and EMC2. So, how would I go about this, ie could I
> re-format it using Windows or DOS or does Linux use a totally
> different format system. In which case would I need to source another
> bit of software to do this or does the Linux install do this for me.

Linux uses a different file system by default, the Linux/EMC2 install
would set up the drive for you.  Since you mentioned that tou can
dedicate this PC to Linux/EMC2, the 10G drive should be plenty.

> Also will EMC2 only work under Ubuntu or would it also work under
> Mandrake 10.1 because I also have a copy of this which apparently will
> install alongside Windows which would be useful on my indoor PC which
> has 170Gig of H/D.

EMC2 can be installed on many modern Linux variants, but the process can
be difficult.  You would need to compile your own kernel, the realtime
extensions, and EMC2.  This is not a task for a Linux "newbie"  :)
Ubuntu can also be installed on a PC along with Windows.  This is called
a dual-boot configuration.  You select which system to use each time you
turn on the PC.  There are options in the Ubuntu install to resize
existing disk partitions and install in the resulting free space.  I
have never done this, so I won't suggest that you do it.  (Many others
have done it successfully and it looks quite easy, but I can't tell you
from personal experience how easy it will be :) )

> There a few questions here but I think my first priority is to try to
> get the Live CD up and running and see where to go from there.
>
> Hoping some of you guy,s out there can help.

Hope this helps
- Steve