Welcome, Rod

Glad to hear of your interest in EMC2.  There may be a few issues with
Nero and burning.  IMO it has to do with those other OS folk not wanting
bootable stuff reproduced.  After you've burned one, pop it into the
reader again and look at the file structure on the disk.  If there is
only one file with an .iso or .img or some such extenison, Nero did not
make a bootable disk.  If there are 9 or so directories and a few files
then you've got a good disk.  I don't know how to make Nero do this but
somewhere buried in the tabs or preferences there should be a bootable
or direct copy ability.

That done, you'll need to make certain that the "sacrificial" machine
can boot from CDROM and has the CD reader as first boot device.  These
are bios settings.  Once you've got it booted up you will see an install
icon on the display.  During that process you'll be asked if you want to
save some of the old file system or can Ubuntu use the whole disk.

Good luck

Ray