I've heard of some routers transparently replacing strings that
look like ip addresses within the packet, to make certain games
work.  But that would result in an incorrect md5sum only, not a
different filesize.  Did you try downloading the .iso from linux
(while running the live-cd)?  Was it still too big?

Mark