Hi i

I'll start an answer.  I'm pretty sure that others will break in with added
info.

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 14:34:42 -0500, [EMAIL PROTECTED], "Enhanced Machine
Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net> said:
>I am considering working on converting my 1 HP Bridgeport mill
>
>  http://igor.chudov.com/projects/My-Bridgeport-Mill/
>
>to CNC control.
>
>I have been a Linux user since early 1995 and try to avoid Windows for
>obvious reasons, so here I am in this mailing list.

I also started about then with RH 5.0 and patches to the NMT real time.

>I have a couple of questions.
>
>1. What are the minimum hardware requirements for this software. For
>example, would a 128 MB, 266 MHz computer be sufficient?

If you are running the bpt using either the original steppers or replacement
steppers, probably not.  The issue here is having enough PC power to run a step
pulse generator sufficiently fast to produce useful rapid motion.

>2. Can I somehow use EMC2 with regular Fedora Core linux, are the
>realtime extensions very difficcult to get for Fedora? The reason for
>this is that all my house runs Fedora linux on at least 4 computers.

Sure.  You'll have to make your own real time patched kernel to match the FC
kernel version.  It is not a trivial matter but it can be done or you can ask
around if anyone has one of that version that they have tested.

>3. I also have a laptop that runs Fedora 7 and does not have a
>parallel port. Is there some contraption like a USB to parallel
>adaptor, that would let me run EMC2 on my laptop.

Um, no.  I use one of these gadgets to run my printer and it works fine because
the printer has it's own motion control software inside and doesn't care when
the commands arrive.  That is not true of a machine running EMC.  There are a
few "real" parport PCMCIA cards out there.  I've not tried one of these but a
couple of them that I've looked at should work.

Hope this helps

Rayh