On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 04:54:39PM -0500, Jeff Epler wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 18, 2007 at 02:34:42PM -0500, Igor Chudov wrote:
> > 1. What are the minimum hardware requirements for this software. For
> > example, would a 128 MB, 266 MHz computer be sufficient?
>
> This is too little RAM to install from the Ubuntu Live CD image we
> provide, and you may find that your highest step rates are lower than
> GHz-range machines can achieve.  You can probably still do 10000 steps
> per second (base_period = 50uS) which is OK for many machines that do
> not do microstepping.

OK, thanks. I think that I will requisition a unused Windows computer,
(1.5+GHZ) I will put in a new hard drive and install Ubuntu. from your
live CD.

I had a not as great luck with ubuntu as I had with Fedora, but this
seems a special case.

> > 2. Can I somehow use EMC2 with regular Fedora Core linux, are the
> > realtime extensions very difficcult to get for Fedora? The reason for
> > this is that all my house runs Fedora linux on at least 4 computers.
>
> In the past it seemed like a big adventure to build a custom
> realtime-patched kernel and rtai.  At the very least, you should feel
> like you are comfortable patching and recompiling the kernel, and
> building other software from source.  There are instructions on our wiki
> for compiling rtai on several forms of debian, and while the
> instructions for what packages to get will not directly translate to
> RedHat/Fedora, you will get a good sense of the steps that must be taken
> to build the realtime stuff.
> http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Installing_EMC2
>
> Jeff

OK, I think that for now, I will go with a bigger PC and your   Ubuntu
disk. I will use Gecko G203v drives, which do seem appropriate for my
use.

My plan is to go in steps -- to first automate X and Y, and then Z
(knee) and later my rotary table, for making gears and whatnot.

My hardware experience to date includes rewiring my old TIG welder to
use a BASIC programmed uprocessor called Cubloc, and I wrote a BASIC
script that makes t a TIG/MIG/any other DC power supply.

I would really like to buy a book that is a gentle introduction into
CNC concepts. I know related math and linear algebra.

Thanks a lot.

igor