On Tue, Jun 19, 2007 at 04:10:18AM -0700, Craig wrote:
> How much memory is required to install form the CD?

The Ubuntu documentation says that the official CD requires 256MB, but
some people have had trouble with less than 320MB and our live installer
CD.

If you're on a lower-memory machine, then you may want to get the
official "server" installer CD (text-mode, not live installation) and
add the desktop (e.g., ubuntu-desktop, xubuntu-desktop, or
kubuntu-desktop) and emc2 packages after preliminary installation.
According to Ubuntu, the "server" CD requires 64 megabytes RAM, but I
doubt the desktops work well (or maybe at all) with that little RAM.

There's also an "alternate desktop CD" (text-mode install but you get
ubuntu-desktop after the first reboot) but I don't see how much RAM that
requires.

Download official Ubuntu CDs (make sure you select "Ubuntu 6.06 LTS" to
run emc2):
    http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download
Release notes including RAM requirements for official Ubuntu 6.06:

http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/releasenotes/606#head-e15a51f7ff4cac464dfd54cbed7506ef13814de3

Jeff