At 11:48 PM 7/17/2007, you wrote:
>Chris Radek wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I thought I should mention that I merged my nine-axis changes into
> > the cvs trunk.  We now have fully coordinated motion in six linear
> > axes (UVWXYZ) and three rotary (ABC).
> >
>Cool!  DAMN cool!
>
>One of the quirks in the old days was how to program the rate of
>these mixed-axes moves.  For instance, in an XYA move, it is
>easy to compute the feedrate of the XY part, but without knowing
>the radius the cutter is at from the center of the A axis, you
>can't add that component to the total velocity.  How is this
>handled now?

The X,Y U,V wire EDM's I run have a set of what they call Z constants.
Z1 is the distance from the machine table to the point at which the X,Y
size is held true.
Z2 is the distance from the table to the point at which the feed rate is
held true.
Z3 is the distance from the table to the upper wire guide.
Z4 is the distance from the table down to the lower guide.

Using this info the control can calculate the displacement of the U,V
slides from the X,Y to get the taper angle and the part size programmed in
the G code.