I've been casually following the scripting language thread. I don't fully
understand the purpose, and have little experience, but with my limited
knowledge I agree with Stuart.

I would suggest EMC should strive to be the best machine controller possible.
Currently this means, to me, it interprets "standard" G-code and moves axes
according to these G-code commands. I start to become uncomfortable when the
direction is to accept other commands and/or make extensions to "standard"
G-code.

I also think G-code is similar to assembly language. Ideally one should use a
solid modeler to develop the part. Transfer this to a CAM package, probably
using IGES. Develop the set-ups, tool paths, tooling, speeds/feeds, etc. in
the CAM package. Export G-code from the CAM package using a post processor
specific to the CNC machine and controller to be used. I also think that post
processor should be very solid so you don't "have to" work in G-code. (It's
nice to know G-code while standing at the machine, but to change code there
can easily cause problems).

For example such niceties as cutting splines should be in the realm of the CAM
package until there are "standard" G-code commands for splines. Converting
them to lines or circular arcs makes for very long G-code programs but who
cares, we now have access to giga-bytes of hard disk storage. EMC accepting
non-standard G-code commands for splines is not helpful, no CAM package could
generate these non-standard codes.

Maybe a simple processor is in order. A program which converts a scripting
language into G-code?

Or maybe I'm missing the point. If so I apologize for taking up bandwidth.

Thanks.

--
Hugh Currin
Klamath Falls, OR