At 10:39 AM 8/20/2007, you wrote:
>I beg to differ.
> >From the Language Features in that pdf. I see only 2 missing from emc2:
>
>- conversion functions (BCD to BIN, BIN to BCD)
>and
>- Printing of values to a serial port
>
>Additionally, I'm not sure what "System Variables to read and write a
>variety of CNC data items and generate alarm messages" means.
>
>Regards,
>Alex

That page is not a comprehensive list of Macro B, look at the programmers
manual for a Mit. or Fanuc control for more.

The O word sub call gives an implementation much like a G65 call but there
is no G66 equivalent.

The work offset numbers are available in EMC but, how to access the tool
table values in EMC?
   These move around a lot on different machines but are usually around
#2000 or #10000 depends on if you have type I or type II offsets.

I do not believe EMC makes modal code status available to the macro code,
normally starts at #4001 and #4201, I do know the list of modal codes on
the display is not accurate with the running program.

Machine position information.
   Preceding block endpoint, #5001,#5002, etc..
   Current machine coordinate, #5021,#5022, etc..
   Work coordinate, #5021,#5022, etc..
   Skip coordinate, #5061,#5062, etc., these I think EMC may provide with
the probe stuff.
   And tool position, #5081,#5082, etc., which is the work coordinate plus
the current applied tool length offset.

The system I/O bits, usually start at #1000, all inputs can be read and
some can be written.

And while EMC can do some of this the syntax is often very different making
running a program written for a Fanuc on an EMC machine a challenge.  Also
gives part programmers one more reason not to like EMC based machines,
which makes them less likely to get purchased in the first place.

Now if the goal of EMC is hobby level stuff fine but I get the feeling it
was intended for more.