On Monday 20 August 2007, Jon Elson wrote:
>Gene Heskett wrote:
>> Greetings everybody;
>>
>> I was working on the frame for my new z axis drive for that micro-mill,
>> and have managed now to break off not one, but 2, 6-nc32 taps in the holes
>> drilled into the edge of a piece of 1/4"x1.5" steel bar.
>>
>> I now have the work insulated, a copper wire in the chuck bent to wobble
>> about enough to cover the ends of the taps, and tried a 50 volt AC supply
>> for about 20 minutes, but the transformers were way too puny and have
>> already smoked. I have an air jet blowing on the work, and the wire
>> running about 200 rpm. While it worked, I'd guess I got rid of 5 thou
>> total, from the work and the electrode wire end, so its not gonna be
>> exactly a 5 minute job unless I can get some more effective firepower into
>> it.
>>
>> Figuring that DC, with a current limiter of sorts and a storage capacitor
>> to hold more bang will probably work better, I've resigned myself to
>> building it.
>>
>> The question then is, for an air quenched lashup, what is a suitable
>> voltage, and a suitable current limit in terms of average milliamps, that
>> I should try and build?  Googleing doesn't seem to spit that sort of info
>> out readily.
>
>Look at my info at http://jelinux.pico-systems.com/edm.html
>You need a current-limited supply of DC to a film-type capacitor
>to deliver the current pulses that do the EDM work.  Also, I
>think a dielectric fluid is really important to make the
>difference between welding and EDM.  I run 30 V at about 1 A,
>mostly due to the parts in my EDM power supply.  I found
>alum-tap (an aluminum tapping fluid) works great, although it is
>flammable.  I only keep a couple drops of it in the hole at a
>time to reduce the risk of a big fire.  (I did get it to flash
>once, but it did not sustain a fire, so it must have some fire
>retardant or vapor suppression in it.)  Water won't work unless
>it is really pure.  Some people have reported plain distilled
>water works well.
>
>Jon

Thanks Jon, that is about what I was looking for.  I noted that the wiki seems
to indicate an rf generator is often used, with frequencies around the 500
khz range.  That almost sounds as if it would setup a plasma that would never
be quenched.  And while that might cut at a higher rate, this sounds a whole
lot simpler.  Is the quality of the capacitor that important?  I see you
wrote film in the text, but showed paper on the drawing.  I can borrow a big
oil filled can with 8 or 10 uf, rated at 8 to 10kv from our transmitter
spares.  My motor psu is 29 volts, and if I can cobble up a suitable limiting
resistor, and in this case a 100 watt light bulb comes to mind as it will
also light dimly to show the short status, then that home-made psu can serve
as the current source. It can certainly spare that portion of an amp.

I don't have anything that looks or sounds like aluma-tap, but I can certainly
source a gallon of distilled water, or I have a quart of ACE hdwe thread
cutting oil which will probably work, and has already contaminated the area.
I didn't have any plastic rod to hold the wire, a hunk of 14 gauge from some
handy romex, so the work rather than the electrode is insulated, a couple
pieces of scrap formica are padding the vise jaws & a small strip of cherry
under the bottom edge.  No leakage that I can measure. Slightly shocking to
the touch though, I allowed my sweaty arm to lay on it at one point. :)

The wire is currently rotating with a small clip lead attached, which seems to
work but shows some wear where the clip sits already, but I like the idea of
the much stiffer brass, so I'll see if I can src a hunk of smallish brazing
rod while I'm out doing the honeydo's this morning.  What I have on hand is
too big, 1/8" IIRC, so I didn't even think to dig it out. 3/32" would be
ideal I'd think for a 6-32 taps web diameter.

But with the depth I have to go, probably nearly 3/4" for one of them, the
cleanout will probably have to be done with an air hose after I get down the
first 1/8".  Might even have to rig a stinger from a wd-40 can somehow and
get right into the hole.  Fun and games...

With an air jet and 50 VAC with no capacitor, I was only able to go with a
f0.0003" feed.  If I can get 0.010"/min out of it, that would be great in
comparison.

Thanks Jon.

--
Cheers, Gene
There's a fine line between courage and foolishness.  Too bad it's not a