Gene Heskett wrote:
> Thanks Jon.  This was just recently generated on a Mac, a simple pcb board
> for
> mounting a 27xxx eprom chip and plugging it into a color computer.
>
> Is there a convertor in the geda suite (or any linux & free) that can convert
> this to our dialect of g-code, RS-274D?

Well, no.  The Gerber file is designed to draw the pattern on
film with light, with the apertures setting the shape of the
light beam.  It can flash round, square, oval and thermal relief
pattern in one blink, with one like of G code.  You can't do
that with a mill.  If you want to actually cut a working PC
board with a router bit, you need to "convert" the file quite
radically with a trace isolation program.  It figures out which
traces and pads are connected, then draws a series of moves
around the entire extent of the net.  Eagle is one of the
programs that can do this, but the somewhat odd format of this
file may be an obstacle.  Could the person who made the file on
the Mac specify for trailing zero suppression on these files and
re-generate it?  I believe I could then read it on my Protel
software, for instance, or make it plot on my photoplotter.

The industry standard is for Gerber photoplot files to have
Leading zeros suppressed, and for Excellon drill files to have
Trailing zeros suppressed!  All part of the history of the
electronics industry, dating back to punched paper tape.

Jon