Ray/ Jon,
Thanks for your comments.

I should try and clear up a few things:
Machine is a minimill with home brew L297/L298 stepper driver boards +
stepper motors.  Signals come from parallel port to drive cards via a
home brew opto-isolator card.  All hardware has been running without
fault for some time with various versions of EMC and some fairly large
GCODE files.

DRO's are mounted to the axes (cheap Chinese scales + PIC ucontroller to
read them) and totally separate from EMC and the drives.  Normally
agreement between the scales and EMC is to within 0.0005".

When I say HOME I mean just setting the axis reading to zero at the
start point of my GCODE - I'm not performing homing with limit switches
etc.

Interesting point Jon made re. a counter getting reset, this would
generate the observed effect.

So whats changed?
I've used EMC without problems for quite sometime now from DBI4.38 to
current 2.1.7 and have confidence in its stability.
Ubuntu is totally up to date.
No hardware changes.

On both occasions that the "jump" has occurred I've been running GCODE
generated by a small windows based Excel utility written in VBA - it
creates simple facing and slotting tool paths.  Could this be the source
of the problem? Odd characters in the text files coming over from
Windows?

Jumps don’t occur at consistent points though, Hmm more head scratching.

Regards
Andy