On Fri, 2007-10-19 at 15:41 -0500, Brian Michalk wrote:
> Is there an old trick to turning a part exactly on center?
> If this venue is not the right place, I would appreciate a pointer to an
> active group that could help me.

Here are two other machining sites I know of:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/

http://www.cnczone.com/

> I have 12mm precision round shafting.  I need to turn down one end of it
> to .25 inches diameter.
> I have a four jaw chuck, and center to within .001", but when I hard
> couple a stepper motor to this part, it binds due to the .25" boss not
> being exactly on center.

The first thing that comes to mind is... can you start with a larger
shaft and create all of your critical features in the first setup?

> I do have a spider coupling, but would rather go direct due to the added
> size of the coupling.

What about flex mounting the stepper motor with a rigid top link going
lets say right and a bottom link going left? I would think that the
motor bearings would need to be fairly stout and you may need to mount
to the center of the motor, but its a thought.
             *
          -------
===III===| Stepr |
          -------
             *
Side View ^

Back View \/
       *=====* Link
     ----
    |    |
     ----
*=====*   Link

or maybe three equally spaced links and no flex mount.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe