On Sat, 2007-10-20 at 13:20 -0500, Jon Elson wrote:
> Kirk Wallace wrote:
> > I wanted to have a real motor/encoder system for my office EMC instead
... snip
> You do not see this on "good" motors.  You can check for this
> with either a variac- or electronically-controlled power supply
> that you can turn down to a fraction of a volt.  Set the supply
> so the motor just rotates, at maybe 10 RPM.  If it just stops
> somewhere, that motor either needs the commutator to be cleaned,
> or it has an open connection to the commutator.
>
> Jon

I connected the motor to my lab supply and got the motor to turn very
slowly at about 4.5 Volts. At the slowest speed, it would only stop if I
reduced the voltage. So I guess I have a "good" motor and I just need to
work more on the tuning. Maybe, add more P to get the initial voltage up
to 4.5 but then add more D (?) to fight the oscillating. Well, I wanted
a real world test bed, I guess I got it.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe