Kirk Wallace wrote:
> I connected the motor to my lab supply and got the motor to turn very
> slowly at about 4.5 Volts. At the slowest speed, it would only stop if I
> reduced the voltage. So I guess I have a "good" motor and I just need to
> work more on the tuning. Maybe, add more P to get the initial voltage up
> to 4.5 but then add more D (?) to fight the oscillating. Well, I wanted
> a real world test bed, I guess I got it.

Right, you want P as high as possible, and to the point that you
need some D to prevent oscillation.  Unfortunately on the Pico
Systems PWM system, there is no current loop or tach feedback,
so the tuning is a little bit more touchy than with velocity
servo amps.  But, usually you can get the following error down
to really negligable levels and still have a stable servo
response.  Too much D and the whole system gets quite unstable
due to lags in the loop and the effects of quantization of the
encoder.  Once you have P and D up about as high as you can get
them, you reduce the rest of the errors with FF1 and FF2.  It
doesn't take much of these factors to make quite a difference,
and it is easy to go too far and make things worse.  And, you
need something like 1 - 2 encoder counts worth of deadband to
stop the buzzing.

Jon