Hi guys,

I'm running Cygwin on my Win-PC as an X server for all Unix-applications at
work (don't need to be in the server hall), working like a charm. The load
on the network and the remote machine is not a big worry. You don't have to
tunnel it through ssh though as it's your own network (unless you have many
computers with evil users...) and encrypt/decrypt uses more resources than a
straight communication.
If the laptop is another Ux-machine it's easy, everything is already there.

Regards,
Sven