> Thanks. Those files cleared up some questions.
>
> In looking at server.nml, I noticed that the xemc processes are routed
> to the remote, but the old documentation indicates that these lines
> don't really do anything. Why not just remove those altogether?

weeeell.. it is actually used.
at some point someone who wrote a new GUI, started by looking at xemc's
sourcecode.
that GUI and all other GUIs that followed use the 'xemc' channel definition
inside the nml file.
this is just a name, but one that needs to be there. I think it would be
cleaner to have "axis", "tkemc", "mini", etc in the nml file, but I'm not
sure it's worth the trouble fixing it (maybe "gui" is a better name)..

>> There is one issue I want to raise here: opening ngc files.
>> For this to work both the GUI and the remote emc2 need to access the same
>> files & dirs.
>> The best way to accomplish this is to mount the remote dir locally using
>> something like smbmount (through smb/CIFS), or nfsmount.
>
> I am thinking that I could NFS mount both to a directory on my file
> server so that I can use the same directory for my lathe, CAD/CAM and
> have automated backups.

sound like a good idea.

> ... snip

Regards,