On Mon, 2007-12-10 at 13:14 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Monday 10 December 2007, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> >On Fri, 2007-12-07 at 14:15 -0800, Kirk Wallace wrote:
> >> I would like to run AXIS remotely. I wrote some notes:
> >>
> >> http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/EMC2/remote_notes.html
> >>
> >> to help me keep things sorted out. I am going to give it a try, but if
> >> anyone has comments or corrections, please let me know. Thanks.
> >
> >I got the .ini and .nml files sorted out and was able to get tkemc
> >working. Both the server and client screens match when selections are
> >made on either computer. If I try to run AXIS, both screens come up, but
> >E-stop and On buttons don't have any effect. Is AXIS known to work with
> >a remote GUI? Are there any known issues with running AXIS on a remote
> >GUI setup?
>
> I have not observed that effect here, Kirk.  It (axis) works just fine when
> imported via an ssh -X session here as long as I remember to do an "xhost
> +address.of.remote.machine" here after starting x on this box.

I am trying the NML redirect method so far. I have used VNC on other
applications before and have had no trouble with it. Next, I'll try the
remote X session method and then see which fits best. To me so far,
ideally, the controller PC would have a minimal install, maybe even
headless command line only. The GUI PC would handle all the fuzzy human
stuff. I tend to change my ideals for more practical solutions after I
actually get or try to get the plan working.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,