Jim Coleman wrote:
> I'm curious how well the compression / extension tap holders would
> compare.  and isnt the nature of springs to require more force to
> compress farther?  wouldnt that result in more pressure being applied
> to the cutter on Z?  or could it be gravity fed to overcome this?  I
> wouldnt mind doing some engraving myself once i get my mill done.
>
> On Jan 4, 2008 8:34 PM, Dean Hedin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:
>

>     Interesting.  I had never heard of a spring loaded engraving tool.
>     I googled this to see what one looks like.
>     http://www.2linc.com/engraving_mini.htm
>
>     Unfortunately they are pretty exspensive from that place.  However
>     I have
>     now decided that I need one of these.
>
>     Looks like something I could turn on the lathe but with the
>     telescoping
>     portion it might be hard to keep
>     the bit runout to a minimum.  They must be made out of ground tool
>     steel.
>
>     I would be grateful if you could elaborate on converting  "non
>     floating
>     engraving spindles into floating ones"

Hi Dean, Jim

I'll post some photos of the two I did later today , stay tuned for a
link . The graphics shown
on the link you supplied don't show the nose cone required to make it
work properly so
it may be a little misleading as to how it maintains an even depth of
cut. The nosecone
is adjustable  up and down with the cutter sticking through the center
of it.  The nosecone
rides on the workpiece. keeping the cutter at a constant depth. I got
both of mine on
ebay,  and they come in 2 standard sizes, 1/8" and 11/64" The cutters
are top loading and
once set up properly can be swapped out without adjusting the depth of cut

Look here http://www.antaresinc.net/FactCutterGeometry.html

The first spindle I did came from an old New Hermes pantograph machine.
I mounted the
spindle on a THK linear slide and spring loaded the whole thing. Piece
of cake, It's
not pretty, but works good. I made it so I could adjust the spring
tension as I wasn't sure
how much I needed.  The second one had a holder that the spindle fit
into with about
.75"  vertical movement, slide fit type of thing. I just took it apart,
and added a spring
to it. I had to drill and tap a couple of holes in it for screws to hold
the spring. Things will
be a little clearer when you see the pictures.

If you make one, don't try to make it telescoping, too complicated, just
spring load the whole thing

Bill