Dave Engvall wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It is indeed possible to use  linear scales with emc. With backlash
> they do not tune as well as encoders on the
> ballscrew. If the ballscrews are very tight the performance should be
> excellent. Recently there was a proposal by someone on the list
> (JMK?)  to use encoders on the ballscrew/servo motor for velocity and
> rough positioning and then use the linear scale to drive final
> position.  AFIK there is no software at present to do implement this
> but it is certainly a cute idea.
I believe you could probably mock this up with HAL components
(possibly might need to add a new math function along the way,
but the set of components is getting quite robust) to merge the
two encoder inputs.  The math shouldn't be very complex.

But, a caution:  Knowing position via the glass scales doesn't
eliminate the backlash problem. The real problem is that the
position of the table is not constrained in both directions by
the servo.  it is only constrained in one direction at a time,
and the motor cannot hop from one side of the backlash to the
other instantly, therefore cutting forces and inertia can flip
it from one side to the other faster than the motor can
compensate.  This can lead to messed-up parts, broken tools and
general foul language around the shop.  So, don't think the
glass scales are some kind of panacea that allows you to do
precision work with sloppy leadscrews.

Jon