On Tue, 2008-01-08 at 12:30 -0600, Jon Elson wrote:
> Dave Engvall wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It is indeed possible to use  linear scales with emc. With backlash
> > they do not tune as well as encoders on the
> > ballscrew. If the ballscrews are very tight the performance should be
> > excellent. Recently there was a proposal by someone on the list
> > (JMK?)  to use encoders on the ballscrew/servo motor for velocity and
> > rough positioning and then use the linear scale to drive final
> > position.  AFIK there is no software at present to do implement this
> > but it is certainly a cute idea.
> I believe you could probably mock this up with HAL components
> (possibly might need to add a new math function along the way,
> but the set of components is getting quite robust) to merge the
> two encoder inputs.  The math shouldn't be very complex.
>
> But, a caution:  Knowing position via the glass scales doesn't
> eliminate the backlash problem. The real problem is that the
> position of the table is not constrained in both directions by
> the servo.  it is only constrained in one direction at a time,
> and the motor cannot hop from one side of the backlash to the
> other instantly, therefore cutting forces and inertia can flip
> it from one side to the other faster than the motor can
> compensate.  This can lead to messed-up parts, broken tools and
> general foul language around the shop.  So, don't think the
> glass scales are some kind of panacea that allows you to do
> precision work with sloppy leadscrews.
>
> Jon

We have (safely) assumed so far, that WGB isn't using stepper motors.

Because a fairly stiff mechanical system is necessary for a good finish,
and a rotary encoder can easily put a ballscrew well within the
positional uncertainty region, which affordable scales can't do, I find
it hard to justify the effort to be able to mix feedback.

It would be interesting to find the least invasive ways to eliminate the
backlash. I don't know what it's called, but I have seen a system that
utilizes matching sections of a leadscrew as caged rollers arranged
around the circumference of the leadscrew, similar to a planetary gear.
Two caged assemblies in tension would take up the backlash. I like this
design because it looks like it could be made by most home shops at
reasonable cost. I tend to like solutions that trade time and talent for
cash.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC lathe,