On Fri, 11 Jan 2008 14:47:44 -0800, you wrote:

>FYI, I have a new page on my website containing my notes on the KBIC
>motor controller.
>
>I am starting to think about how EMC could reverse motor direction.
>
>Maybe a standard H-bridge connected to the armature connections, A+ and
>A-? The KBIC manual indicates that the armature output cannot be
>disconnected unless the inhibit feature is activated. I would like to
>get an explanation why disconnecting the armature, while the KBIC is on,
>is a problem. I know SCR's won't turn off until the input voltage goes
>to zero, but that happens every 120th of a second. The KBIC seems to
>handle decelerations without a problem, so it seems to me, that back EMF
>is not a problem.
>
>For a direction change, I could start with invoking the inhibit, wait
>until the motor stops, switch the bridge and finally, deactivate
>inhibit.
>
>In the KBIC manual, I didn't find any information on the U terminal. I
>am guessing it is for a braking resistor?
>
>Any help would be appreciated.

I use KBIC speed control on my mill, I simply reverse the DC output
using a 20A DP/DT relay.

The only thing to beware of when using computer control via a 0-10V
input is the -ve on the KBIC is referenced to mains neutral, and unless
you use an isolated step/dir to 0-10V converter like the CNC4PC C6
variable speed control board, your likely to blow something.

There are wiring diagrams on CNC4PC's site and there is a warning in the
manual that says use ISOLATED reference voltage.

If you want to you could use a KBCC-R model if you want true dynamic
braking and reversing.

Steve Blackmore