On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 17:19:24 -0500, you wrote:

>I'm not personally familiar with the KBIC drive, but I bet it is a
>non-regenerative drive.  You will find it difficult or impossible to do
>a quick stop and reverse with it.  A non-regen drive can only slow down
>by friction and drag, not by actively extracting power from the motor.

Dunno - but It's little more sophisticated than your giving credit <G>.

See

http://www.kbelectronics.com/manuals/kbic.pdf

It can have a shunt resistor wired into provided terminals for dynamic
braking and has an inbuilt inhibit which cuts power to the output during
braking.

It will stop remarkably quickly, and reverse, but I'm a belt and braces
man and I don't like burning the contacts on relatively expensive relays
;)

As for rigid tapping, as Kirk intends, it's quite capable of doing it,
as is and it stops even quicker with a tap embedded in the work <G>.

The fact that there's a delay before reversing is not detrimental.

I don't "rigid" tap, but I routinely tap using an extending nose type
Tapmatic SM4, it works fine.

Steve Blackmore