Kirk Wallace wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-01-12 at 07:47 +0000, Steve Blackmore wrote:

>>> You don't switch it while the motor is running, do you? The KBIC manual
>>> says that you will damage the controller by doing that. I have had
>>> another look at the schematic and I am thinking that if you disconnect
>>> the armature, you will get a voltage spike high enough to cause SCR1 to
>>> conduct in reverse. If SCR2 is on, which is likely, you will have a
>>> direct short between the mains, L1 and L2.
>> No - there's a delay set on CW/CCW.
>>
>>> I think if inhibit is invoked long enough ( 20ms ?) to insure that both
>>> SCR's are off, switching the armature will be okay. I just won't know
>>> for sure until I try it. Which will have to wait until I get the parts
>>> to fix the controller due to my last experiment.
>> It needs to be long enough to ensure there is no output from the KBIC or
>> back emf generated by the motor under any condition  - I use 1 second.
>
> I think the SCR's and diodes are rated for 1kV, so if the back EMF is
> kept to a couple of hundred Volts, it should be okay, especially if a
> braking resistor is used. I think a short inhibit should be enough to
> get through the initial switching spike.
>
>> On a mill that should be plenty, on a lathe, however, where there may be
>> lots of inertia due to a heavy chuck, it may need to be longer.
>>
>>> I am playing with ideas on how EMC could be used to enhance what people
>>> already have. These KBIC controllers seem to be quit popular.
>> EMC should already run one fine, if you use an external isolator board.
>>
>> Steve Blackmore
>
> My vision is to have EMC be able to control the spindle from full
> forward to stop, or full reverse within a second. Or, at least, well
> enough to do rigid tapping.

I'm not personally familiar with the KBIC drive, but I bet it is a
non-regenerative drive.  You will find it difficult or impossible to do
a quick stop and reverse with it.  A non-regen drive can only slow down
by friction and drag, not by actively extracting power from the motor.

Regards,

John Kasunich