On Tuesday 18 March 2008, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I picked up a Sherline mini mill in late '06, and their mini lathe in
>early '07, and then essentially never used them. I worked too much, and
>couldn't run them in my apartment building by the time I'd get home. Now
>I'm in a house, and have been trying to get it all set up again, but I
>have to say that unfortunately I've had nothing but troubles for about a
>month now trying to get EMC2 and my mill set up properly. I need to say
>that I do appreciate the efforts of the group, and am committed to getting
>this to work, and I love free/open software, but alas, I'm still trying to
>get even the simple things working correctly after many weeks.
>
>The #1 issue right now, as I'm afraid it could be responsible for the
>inaccuracies I'm seeing in what I'm trying to make, is the error message I
>get almost every time I fire up the program:
>
>RTAPI: unexpected realtime delay on task 1

This error, if it comes up as the progam is finalizing the gui, is apparently
a never mind.  It seems to be video card related as I do not get that error
when I am "ssh -Y -l gene shop" into that machine from this machine.  That
machine has a GForce2 FX 5200 card in it with the motherboard video disabled
in the bios.  According to dmesg, it isn't identified and until x starts is
running the framebuffer in vga-16 mode.  The video card in this box is also
an nvidia, a 3DForce 6200.

I let stepconf set the base_period, and I have reduced it by several
microseconds without encountering the error later while running.

If you hit it while running, That is a different animal entirely.  I have not
seen it since about 2.0.3 or so, which is about the time that check was added
to emc2 I believe.

The actual effect in the milling would I believe, be a later than normal
issuance of the next step, which could effect the maximum speeds reliability.
At 10 ipm cutting speeds its not going to be a wreck the part error as it
would be only a late step, not a missed one.

So if you see it at startup seems to be un-important, if you see it while
running (leave the motors off and run the axis logo would be one test) then
it should be a concern.

In that event slowing the base thread by increasing the number in the .ini
file might then be indicated.  Doing something about the video is the other,
on-board video with its shared memory has been a problem in times past, and
is why there is the cheap nvidia card in my shop machine.

Interestingly I ran that card on the kernels nv drivers for quite a while, but
it had trouble with slow display refreshing, and installing the drivers for
it from the nvidia site made a huge difference there, but did not effect the
single error it puts up at startup.

>There are 5 pages available through Google on the matter, and they don't
>answer the question, beyond hinting I should change my base period. I read
>whatever I could find awhile back about setting up the latency, but
>couldn't really make heads nor tails of it. The information in a few docs
>I found online didn't match up with anything I was seeing on the screen,
>and I don't have intimate knowledge of these things, so was unable to
>guess at anything.
>
>Tonight, I ran the latency-test again, and having again been handed many
>numbers that don't mean anything to me (and aren't explained anywhere I've
>been able to find), I decided to just use the "Base Thread (25.0 µs)" "Max
>Jitter (NS)" in my inch.ini file for BASE_PERIOD - a total guess, but it
>seemed right. The error stopped occurring, for a few more launches, but
>then returned. I understand absolutely nothing about any of this, so I
>have no next step.
>
>The default BASE_PERIOD in the file was IIRC 50000. I've tried down to
>10000 (makes it super slow to load up), and up to the very high number I
>got from my latency tests - 187525 - and even 200000. The error always
>comes back. Am I going to have to build the software from source (for some
>reason, as indicated in some of my Google finds?).

Those sound like the sort of numbers one might get from a shared with main
memory on-board video system, see above.  A different video card might be in
order.

>I'll save my other curiosities for future emails, as I don't want this
>important bit to get lost in a flood of other questions :)
>
>Thanks very much!
>-Gary

Cheers, Gene
WHERE CAN THE MATTER BE