On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 13:38 -0400, Matt Shaver wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-05-16 at 09:46 -0400, John Kasunich wrote:
>
> > I don't see HAL and NML as doing the same thing, and I certainly
> > wouldn't propose HAL pins for the task planner.
>
> I see your point. The HAL is what you said, not an IPC method, at least
> not an intentional one. I guess I like it because it's so easily
> manipulated, like a scripting language :) .
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

A few folk were brain storming a while back about task planning.  There
were even a couple of graphics floating about that described possible
systems.  The way that we thought of it was using hooks into the task at
various levels that sounds now a lot like the way that HAL connects
things together.  Perhaps we need a TAL that can be configured a bit
like HAL is.  It would need to sit in NML much as the current task
planner does and negotiate motion, IO, and state much the way that it is
currently done.  The advantage would be that if no tool changing was
done, none need be included,  If manual tool change is done, a manual
tool change routine might be connected.  If auto tool change is
available, one matching the logic of the tool changer could be linked
in.

Rayh