On Mon, Jun 02, 2008 at 06:13:05PM +0200, jros wrote:
> I think a different aproach is
>
> sudo comp --install your_kin.c
>
> from EMC 2.1.7 and above.
>
> It compiles and installs in place (I think)

(sudo) comp --install should work for both run-installed and
run-in-place versions.  The sudo will be necessary for run-installed
systems, because typically root owns the directory containing the emc
modules.  sudo is usually not necessary for run-in-place, because the
user probably owns the module directory.

I recommend comp --install over modifying emc2's makefiles if all you
are doing is adding new components.  However, if you do prefer to
integrate the new module with the emc source tree, you can do that too.
For .comp files, just place the file in src/hal/components or
src/hal/drivers as appropriate.  For other modules, you have to write
several lines in the top-level Makefile, similar to these for trivkins:

    obj-m += trivkins.o
    trivkins-objs := emc/kinematics/trivkins.o
    # ... many lines later ...
    ../rtlib/trivkins$(MODULE_EXT): $(addprefix objects/rt,$(trivkins-objs))

Jeff