> If used incorrectly autopackage installs can go pear shaped. Very.

Yes. I am finding that out the hard way :-(

> .run/.sh/.bin have worked well here. I don't know how difficult this might be.

Yes, that is the route I am intending to go. Nixstaller looks to be a
good bet. It has the useful ability to automatically create rpm/deb
packages on the fly. This way the install gets integrated into your
normal package manager. I have yet to fully test it but it is looking
promising.

> Most users have little trouble adding menu items. Providing a png/gif is a
> nice
> touch.

If the .package installer works correctly it does install menu entries
and mime types. There is a logo in share/pixmaps/sheetcamlogo.png if you
want to set up a menu item manually.

> Linux is a bit of a dog's breakfast with all the various distributions. Best
> of
> luck.

Thanks. It is a real pity that installation is so hard. IMHO this needs
to be solved before Linux can take over the world ;-)

>  I'm a cheerful testmule btw. :}

Thanks.

Les