On Thu, 2008-06-05 at 14:43 +0100, Leslie Newell wrote:
<s>
> Thanks. It is a real pity that installation is so hard. IMHO this needs
> to be solved before Linux can take over the world ;-)

I'm not certain that we want to blame the install issues on Linux.
These kinds of things tend to be more of a distro issue.  I've been
running Linux since RedHat 5.0 and have suffered through several kinds
of install stuff.

Two thoughts -- one not well liked by the community.  The first is that
I'm a real believer in .deb.  In fact the recent Ubuntu releases really
seem to handle this very well.

The second, a simple tarball.  Most of the distributions know how to
unpack them.

Ray