On Mon, 2008-06-09 at 21:17 -0700, Alan Condit wrote:
> Kirk,
>
> I like your idea but I got lucky and didn't need to use it.
>
> I guess I was not real clear on what I was asking. I knew that the
> ports in the manual were wrong and the correct ports were the ones
> from the "lspci -v".  My problem was the fact that the example "lspci
> -v" from the wiki and the one from the manual both showed a list of
> port numbers increasing down and both showed the port at the top of
> the list to be a valid port (i.e., the lowest port address), while my
> result had the highest address at the top of the list.
>
> Anyway I took a gamble, and used the "0xec00" in my ".hal" file,
> plugged my cable in to one of the two new ports, and got lucky on the
> first try. Everything worked.
>
> Actually it wasn't the first try, I had tried,
> loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xec00 0x378" and it hadn't worked so I
> changed it to
> loadrt hal_parport cfg="0xec00" and it worked.
>
> I had tried the whole list of ports on both connectors without any
> luck when I had left the 0x378 in the config statement as the second
> port (without adding the necessary reads and writes).
>
> Can anyone explain why that won't work?  And what does the "1" or
> "-1" after the read or write command mean?
>
> Alan
> ---

It may be how the loadrt hal_parport cfg="X Y Z" assigns port numbers. I
thought it might be parport.0 goes to the first address in the list, but
apparently not. Maybe its the lowest address gets parport.0 and the next
lowest address, parport.1, and so on. That's how I have used it so far,
but I have always had my addresses in increasing order so I couldn't
tell the difference.

The 1 and -1 are a little funky. A 1 indicates that the function in this
line should be executed first. A -1 means the line should come last. I
believe you can use other numbers, like a -2 means the line gets
executed second to last. I don't know what happens if you have more than
one line with 1 or -1. At first I assumed the lines where executed in
line order, but then I realized that there were some config files that
had function call outs in more than one file, so the function execution
order gets a little fuzzy.

--
Kirk Wallace (California, USA
Hardinge HNC/EMC CNC lathe,