I mentioned to some people at the CNC Workshop that I was
working on a resolver to quadrature converter board, and we
hooked one up to a servo motor to compare a real encoder against
the AB signals derived from the resolver.  That all worked quite
well.

Well, a customer also wanted a velocity signal from it to
simulate a DC tachometer.  I said "Oh, simple, it has a digital
velocity output, I'll just hook that to a DAC and it is done!"
Ahh, not so fast.  The AD2S1200 chip is designed to run up to
1000 RPS = 60,000 RPM, so if full scale of 2047 (12-bit signed
binary value) is 60,000 RPM, then one bit = 29 RPM.  Oh oh, that
is never going to work to close the loop of a positioning servo
like on a machine tool axis!  I've confirmed by twirling the
resolver shaft that this appears to be the true scale factor for
the chip.

So, I am going to have to develop the velocity value from the
quadrature signals.  Since the chip interpolates the resolver to
4096 counts/rev, I should be able to produce much better
resolution at reasonable speeds.  For instance, at 60 RPM, you
get 4096 counts/second.  At 100 counts/second, it would be
turning only ~1.5 RPM, so some really simple filtering should
work.  I'm trying to decide if I should do this digitally or
have encoder counts produce fixed-width pulses on a pair of
charge pumps, one on each input to a differential amp.
Digital would get rid of all the adjustment pots, of course.

Any thoughts?

Jon