Dave Engvall wrote:
> Hi Steve, Jon:
>
> The Analog Devices  chips have really good specs especially at low freq.
> How they are rather pricey in todays world of inexpensive chips with
> excellent performance. A couple of $14 to $31 chips drives the price of
> the finished board up pretty fast.
> There is a National tach chip ( LM2917) at much lower prices but also
> lower specs.

This is still a unipolar (= unidirectional) F-V converter.
> I wonder how well a digital approach with a simple moving average would
> work. I'm assuming that a good digital filter would take too much time
> to compute but that is someone else's problem. ;-)
FPGAs can do digital filters in the MHz range, if you really
need it.  But, the problem is to filter a discontinuous-time
signal (encoder counts) into an approximation of a
continuous-time signal (velocity) with minimal delay AND minimal
ripple at low speed.  NOT trivial.

Jon