On Thursday 07 August 2008, Sergey Izvoztchikov wrote:
>Another series of questions. As a newcomer to CNC world I have a lot
>of those.
>
>Looking at stepper based CNC kits, I eventually separated 2 leaders in
>my prospective of retrofitting to Sherline Mill -
>
>Xylotex 4 axis kit - http://www.xylotex.com/4AxSysKit.htm
>
>and
>
>Keling Inc 4 axis kit - http://www.kelinginc.net/FourXCNCPackage2.html
>
>I'm trying to see if one is better then other. They are very close. In
>fact stepper motors seem to be the same. Power Supply doesn't make huge
>difference, though Keling's one has higher amperage on specs. I'm not
>sure how big is the difference in motor drivers. Keling's ones seem to
>be more "powerful". I think biggest difference is in the level of
>integration between BOB and drivers. Xylotex has all in one board.
>Keling instead has BOB and all drivers separated. I believe Keling's
>approach has advantage of easier repair and replacement of modules.
>However Xylotex' integrated board could have advantages of all
>components placed closer together and less prone to possible
>noise/interference in wires.
>
>I would really like to hear about other pros and cons of each kit. Or
>even about other may be more capable kits. Any opinions would be
>greatly appreciated.
>
>Cheers

I personally use the xylotex, but built my own power supply.

The kelliginc seems like a more powerful deal until you get to the power
supply, the 8.3 amp rating is fine, but the fact that its a switcher bothers
me.  I tried to use a switcher here, but the motors throw enough currant back
into the supply at the supply was doing random shutdowns, not conducive to
making good parts at all.

At only 24 volts, you have little or no rapids advantage over the xylotex and
its 24 volt analog supply which can absorb those reverse currents from the
motors much better than the switch mode supply can.

If you leave out the supply, how does it compare pricewise with the xylotex,
also without the supply, & then cobble up a 35 volt supply from the junk box?

That would almost be the best deal if you can build the supply yourself.

--
Cheers, Gene
Adapt.  Enjoy.  Survive.