When I get it to mess up the motor-pos-cmd is jittering at the 4th 5th 6th etc decimal place, so is the pos cmd and the pos cmd fdback. The dir is also bouncing back and fourth but the step appears to be fine.

Andy

John Kasunich wrote:
andyholcomb wrote:
This is a new and updated (today) install. I am running steppers motors. In manual mode it works great, MDI and Auto mode it will randomly go nuts on on one or two varying axises. Nuts, sometimes going back and forth about 10 or 20 degrees on a axis with no movement on the digits on the screen. Or, moving slowly in one direction with no movements on the location display of the screen. On the MDI it seams to do it when I first start up and go into that mode, I can execute some code and it stops all the time I think. On the auto it will do it sometimes when I go into the mode and sometimes when I get done with a program. It will stop if I go back to Manual mode all the time.

Any thoughts?

If the display isn't changing, EMC thinks it isn't moving.  Time for
some classic "divide and conquer" debugging.  EMC sends position
commands out the HAL pins axis.n.motor-pos-cmd.  Open another shell
while EMC is running, and invoke halmeter.  Select the motor-pos-cmd
pin, and you will get a "meter" displaying the current command from EMC.
 Then do whatever you do to make it misbehave.  If the meter shows no
change, then EMC proper isn't commanding that motion.  You start
multiple halmeters - put a couple on the step generator pins as well,
both command and feedback.  If the stepgen feedback isn't changing, then
the step generator isn't commanding that motion either.

If you find something changing when it shouldn't, report back what you
found.  If none of those pins are changing but your axis is still
moving, you probably want to look at the step pins.  It doesn't make
sense to discuss next steps in much detail, since they depend on what
you find in the first steps.

Troubleshooting is _always_ an interactive process.  Ask a question,
conduct a test to find the answer, and then ask a new question based on
what you just discovered.

Regards,

John Kasunich