Jonathan Hancock wrote:
> Thanks Jon. You're right - the waveform is from the raw photosensor outputs.
>
> Would it be posible for you to provide a circuit diagram using the LM193
> please? I have tried an op-amp (Max942) as I have a few kicking around.
> I connected A+ to one i/p and A- to the other following a diagram that I
> found by a University student working on a Puma. It doesn't work!
Oh, so you have differential outputs?  That is much better, as
it compensates for fading of the LED.

OK, the LM193 is really easy to connect.  Ground is pin 4, +5 V
(or whatever your power supply is, up to 15 V) is pin 8.  For
the first comparator, the + input is pin 3, the - input is pin
2.  The output is pin 1.  (same pinout as a dual op-amp, how
convenient!)  Connect A+ to pin 3, A- to pin 2.  Connect a 1 K
Ohm resistor from +5 V to the output, as they are
open-collector, and need a pull-up.  This really ought to work
if the A+ and A- signals are crossing some intermediate voltage.

For the 2nd comparator, in+ is pin 5, in- is pin 6, out is pin 7.

Jon