Jonathan Hancock wrote:
> Hi all - just a quick update on my Puma project.
>
> As a thought, the output from the original encoders is a sin/cos
> waveform (to see goto http://www.flickr.com/photos/[EMAIL PROTECTED]/ ). I
> will try to convert this low level signal into a ttl level square wave
> using an op-amp. The encoder has a pair of leds and photo sensors in.

OK, looking at the very asymmetric waveforms, I'm guessing these
are just raw photosensor outputs, and not real sine/cosine
signals ready to be interpolated.  I can't tell the voltage
levels from the pic, but a simple comparator circuit should be
able to convert to TTL levels.

Don't use an op-amp, they are too slow and don't have a
"digital" output stage.  Use a comparator such as the LM193.

> I am looking at using a pic adc to gain limit and homing signals from
> the pots on the back of the motors. This is looking quite promissing.
>
> I've installed ubuntu and emc2 on my machine and now baffled!
>
> Jon - am I sorting the correct things out to interface to your cards?
I guess so.  You would need digital A, B and Z signals, and a
contact closure or opto-isolator output for the limit signals,
and home switch simulation.

Jon