On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 10:32:47PM -0500, Stuart Stevenson wrote:
>    Can I effectively bypass the SCR tuning by increasing the gain a
> lot (much past what the motor can handle) and using the tuning in EMC
> to control the motor. Could this turn the SCR into a dumb amp.

I think increasing the gain will not work but unhooking the tach
might.  I ran one of mine that way for a while.  The performance was
not better - it was worse.  I was not able to tune the position PID
loop to give the same stability and stiffness that the amp was able to
do by itself with velocity feedback.

My understanding is the way these work is the input to the next stage
in the amp (current/torque loop?) is the difference between commanded
and feedback velocity.  So if you null the feedback you control the
next stage fairly directly.

In my limited experience, velocity mode is still best.  I measured the
amp's behavior (tuning is set with resistors, etc) and then set EMC
accordingly (maxvel, maxaccel) and tuned with pretty much P/FF1 only.
It really works great.