Dave Houghton wrote:

>Tomp wrote
>
>dave,
>yes, my test was running those programs
>but just idle, i was gone for a week
>and while idle it went 'over the top'
> > 32K
>so (imo) it doesnt matter much that you would never use those apps
>i wasnt there to touch a key/open a file/drag a screen for a week
>it was the 'system' that made the numbers go high
>it was 'unexpected'
>
>end my 2c
>tomp
>

>tomp,
>
>Now that's very off putting, I was sitting here quite pleased with myself.
>Do you run a machine on that computer, did you change anything on the
>computer or did you just run it and hope for the best.
>Regards
>Dave

As John Kasunich pointed out, the whole point of the latency test is to
tell you whether the computer you want to use is suited for machine
control.  The idea is to put a much heavier load on the computer when
testing, so you identify and correct any potential problems before you
start losing parts due to errors you didn't see (in "light" testing).

If you might plan to leave EMC2 running overnight (on some long G-code
program), then you should probably let the latency test run overnight.
There are background tasks that run from time to time (updating file
indexes, for example), which would usually not be a problem, but could
be if you leave the machine running when they happen.  The reason to
stress the machine (with disk, video, network, and USB activity) is that
those are common sources of problems.  There are also things that are
unrelated to user activity which could cause problems, and which may not
be found in a 5-minute run of the test.

The fact is that we don't know all the possible causes of realtime
problems, so we can only say that you should test the things we know
about, and leave it running long enough that you're satisfied that your
machine doesn't have any (significant) unknown problems lurking.

- Steve