tomp wrote:

> howard
> look at the numbers without the formula, just to get the relationships...
>
> i think...
> you have 2.25 turn of motor to get 1 turn of screw ( 36/16 = 2.25)
>
> and 1 turn of motor makes 2000PPR which is 8000 counts ( due to quadrature)

I glossed over quadrature 1x vs 4x, and "counts per rev" vs "cycles per
rev" vs "pulses per rev", because Howard's error is not a nice simple
factor of four.  This is something to keep in mind in general though -
encoder specs can be ambiguous.

> so for 1 turn of screw you have 18000 counts from motor
> ( 8000 counts per motor turn * 2.25 motor turns)
> and
> 1 turn of screw is 0.250" (inches)
> which is
> 6.35mm (0.25 * 25.4 = 6.35 )
>
> so, 6.35mm travel = 18000 count
> so 6350 microns = 18000 counts
> so 1um of travel = 18000/6350 = 2.8346457 counts
>
> thats a pretty ugly number

There are no "ugly" numbers with EMC2.  Scaling is done in floating
point, so it doesn't matter if you have 1003.267 counts per mm, EMC will
move the correct distance (within one or two counts, of course).

> there are an infinite number of screw and gear and ppr combinations that
> wont yield nice counts per micron
> so it is possible that you cannot get it with the combination you have
> assembled

Doesn't matter at all.

Regards,

John Kasunich