Gentle persons:

There was a flurry of messages earlier that touched on running ethernet
to barns and such using either cat-5 cable or wi-fi. Sorry I was in no
position to respond at the time.

I was surprised no one mentioned powerline ethernet technology (or was I
just not diligent enough in reading the traffic?).

I don't have any useful remote floorspace for machine tools (sigh), but
I do live in a 3-story townhouse with a difficult layout of walls and
spaces. I've run cat-5 where it was convenient, to connect with
desktops, servers, routers, etc., and set up wi-fi access points to
connect with transitory laptops (mine, my wife's, and my adult
children's). However, I'm also using powerline ethernet technology to
bridge between several locations. I used first-generation Netgear
adapters in the past and am using current-generation Linksys adapters
now (I believe D-Link and possibly others are also in the game).

I get more than acceptable throughput (e.g., faster than the cable modem
that is my link to the outside world). I see no evidence of interference
from cordless phones, microwave ovens, or other emitters in my house or
the connected townhouses, nor have I seen evidence of trouble with my
cockamamie branch circuit layout (I think all the journeyman
electricians must have been on strike when the house was built in 1972.
There's an inspector's scrawl in the service panel, so presumably the
work was to NEC code, but good golly, Miss Molly).

Your mileage may vary.

I see two possible shortcomings in the powerline ethernet approach

(1) the run to the remote site may be too long for the technology to
perform at an acceptable speed. Use your favorite search engine to find
the current vendors and dig through their sites for performance info.

(2) this solution may turn out to be more expensive because these
adapters aren't commodity products and there's not enough competition.
Still, it's always possible you can find them on eBay, Craig's list, or
even in your neighbor's junkbox (when I upgraded, I gave my first
adapters to an enterprising teen-aged experimenter I know who's long on
ideas and short on funds).

I think anyone faced with expanding their ethernet empire should
estimate total costs and benefits of the all available approaches before
forging ahead.

Regards,
Kent