I have a friend who is 'netting' his farm.  He is putting in about 3000'
of fiber.  This keeps away nasty ground loop problems.  He has also set
up proper router protocols between his terrestial wireless provider
(about 5 miles away, line of site) and a Satellite internet provider, so
'internal' to his farm, he does wired, and wireless, through his own
routers that take care of ensuring 'best signal'  and doing failover if
an ISP becomes unavailable.  (I think he is running BGP protocol to his
ISPs routers from his Cisco router to deal with the network failover.
... yes, he is a hard core computer geek.)

Where I live (in a deep ravine) there is no 'net service.  No wired
other than dialup an no wireless or cell service here.
.
There is an office/barn up higher where we can get Sprint Wireless, so
we are using an 'aircard' there
with a windows desktop that does internet connection sharing, that goes
through 2 wireless routers and 2 wifi 'game adapters' (one USRobotics,
one Belkin) before the signal gets to my desktop in my house.  We live
about 2000' from whre the 'Aircard' computer is located and running wire
is problematic through the the rocky ground, over a road and through a
parking lot (we live on a Girl Scout Camp).

So can it be done wireless?  Sure.  Not a real issue.  A nuisance to set
up the first time but it seems pretty reliable (after having a satellite
IP provider.  --  they provided faster service, but the propagation
delay put the effective speed at roughly that of a 28.8K modem. Through
the Sprint Wireless we get about 128KBPS, or half what a low end DSL
would give.)

Internally 'within our network', we have 802.11G routers and network
cards and see no problem doing backups, streaming video, or anything
else we want.  Our network connection to the outside is the slowest
thing around here.