Gentle persons:

So I've been trying to practice due diligence. The sourceforge mail
archives have been really flaky for me today and the Gmane archives go
back only 2 years, so I started by searching my archive of
emc-users-digest messages that dates from when I subscribed to the
digest in late 2005 for occurrences of 'rtnet'. I found three clusters
of messages.

1) Evert Lammerts set off a flurry of messages in Aug 2006 with his
"rt_task_init" message. As he subsequently explained, "We are trying to
make a reliable real-time connection between two EMC computers for
exchange of positional data, which is necessary for the project we're
working on [at NHL University in the Netherlands]". The exchanges ended
with Evert's distribution of his code HAL_RTNET.tar.gz on 06 Sep 2006.
(Of course, I had to coax a very balky sourceforge to disgorge this code
since the digester scrubbed it as a non-text attachment.)  I won't be
able to review his code until this weekend. With luck, the code will be
commented and the comments will be in English, not Dutch. (Hope springs
eternal...)

2) There was an extended exchange of messages in Oct 2007 beginning with
Jon Elson's "Starting a new project" in which he said he had been
looking at the description of rt-ethernet, answered by Stephen Willie
Padnos observing 'I talked to some folks who had gotten RTNet to work
for their application (power substation monitoring, I think it was).
Apparently it wasn't quite right "out of the box", and they had problems
getting answers from the developer. This was about 18 months ago though,
so things may have changed since then', and continuing with
free-wheeling discussion that ultimately involved 11 respondents.

3) There is the current exchange of messages that began in Oct 2008
(from which I infer the cycle-time for this topic is ca 1 year) with
"Parallel port in the future - query" and, except for a three-week
hiatus in December, continues today.

I don't subscribe to emc-developers-digest (maybe I should?). As I said,
I'm having trouble getting the sourceforge mail archives to respond but
it seems that real-time ethernet has been discussed, abeit also
sporadically, since 2004.

I'll have to mull over these discussions. If you have any other
resources you think would be useful for me to look at, please let me
know. I've already used Google to turn up some interesting articles on
real-time ethernet (but I've only looked at the first dozen hits out of
Google's "approximately 1,170,000 hits" [that's 1.170.000 to you folks
across the ocean] so please be specific.

Regards,
Kent

PS - Why am I pursuing rtnet? Mostly because it's there.