Gentlemen,
   I have seen (youtube) the conversion of an automotive alternator to
a stepper motor. The fields are pulsed and no motion occurs until the
rotor has dc voltage applied. Would it be possible to use this type of
stepper to overcome some of the speed and torque limitations of a PM
stepper? Could you reduce the voltage at faster speeds and get better
performance. Maybe you could size it so more voltage to the rotor
could give more torque during the cut?
Just thoughts of someone who knows NOTHING about stepper motors. :)
Just more smoke.
thanks
Stuart