The rotor current controls the strength of the magnetic
field of the rotor. This will vary the torque, but maximum
torque is still determined by magnetic saturation and by
the amount of current in the field. The rate of change of
the field current  and thus the torque at speed is
limited by the inductance of the field winding. This is
what limits the torque at speed of stepper motors and
varying the rotor current will not correct this limitation.

It is a cruel world. Torque is related to amperes of
coil current times the number of turns, while inductance
is also related to the number of turns and fights the
rate of change in the current that is needed to generate
the torque at speed.

don't shoot the messenger...
Steve Stallings