fr...@fs.tum.de wrote:
> Hallo,
> I new to EMC and before I start to work my self through the documentation
> and try to get it running with my machine I’d like here your opinions:
>
> I’m looking for a solution to control a 4 axis CNC mill (3 axis router +
> rotator axis). At the moment the mill is controlled using Mach 3 running
> Windows XP. The mill is controlled by simple step and direction signals,
> it is connect to the PC by using two LPT ports. So I think it should be
> rather easy to setup EMC, right?
>
> The reason I’d like to change the soft CNC is that Mach 3 slows down the
> machine dramatically on complex fine cuts with a large number of short G1
> movements. Can I expect an improvement of the cutting speed by utilizing
> EMC? I think it depends on how good the tool path look ahead is. What can
> I expect from EMC running on a standard PC (3 Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB RAM, 2
> PCI LPT cards)?

I did some testing last year to see how well EMC2 could handle a long
string of very nearly co-linear short vectors.
I've looked hard for the original message, but can't find it. But, I
seem to recall that I got over 600 vectors per second when I had the
right G61.1 setting, so that the allowance for divergence between the
lines was sufficient to maintain the commanded feedrate. This was on a
600 MHz Pentium 3 with a "real" servo control, so there were no software
step generation issues. The test program was a 2" diameter circle
composed of 10,000 vectors. It executed in ~13 seconds.

Jon